Dr Richard Gowan
Richard graduated from the University of Queensland Veterinary School in 1998. Shortly after graduating, he gained a position at the Creek Road Cat Clinic, one of Australia’s first cat only hospitals. Over 5 years, he had the fantastic opportunity to work in a team of cat-loving Vets and nurses under the tutelage of Dr. Vic Menrath, Australia’s first Feline Medicine Specialist.
He regularly presents lectures on feline medicine at Veterinary conferences and is actively involved in continuing eduction in all areas of feline health and medicine. He was President and a founding member of the Australian Society of Feline Medicine. Richard is actively involved in advancing the Veterinary profession and has served on various committees within the Australian Veterinary Association over the last 14 years.
His aim at The Cat Clinic is to provide high quality compassionate care exclusively for cats, as well as providing the most up to date and optimal choices for your cat’s health. Richard consults closely with Specialists in all aspects of Veterinary Medicine and surgery. Richard has a particular interest in renal medicine, ultrasonography and geriatric feline medicine. His real passion is long term pain & osteoarthritis management in cats, having authored two papers regarding long-term pain control as well as authoring a text book chapter, as well as lecturing around Australia and internationally.
Richard & Amy have four cats: Harper a talkative tubby Burmese Billy, Stella a lively lithe tabby oriental and richard’s favourite; Stirling a brilliant little Russian Blue (THE BEST CAT IN THE WORLD). In his spare time, you might find him kayaking on the Yarra River, looking for his golf ball or enjoying a bottle of cabernet.
Richard’s professional qualifications and post-graduate training include:
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Honours) UQ 1998
- Centre for Veterinary Education Distance Education course (Feline Medicine) 2000
- Membership of the Australian College of Vet Scientists in Feline Medicine in 2003
- President of the Melbourne Branch of the Australian Veterinary Association 2007-2011
- Board member for the Victorian Branch of the Australian Vet Association 2010 – present
- President of the Australian Society of Feline Medicine
- Presented lectures in Australia, Portugal, Spain, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Korea and China regarding feline health care & pain management in cats.